[OS X TeX] Request from Gary and Joe

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Wed Sep 7 04:10:31 CEST 2005

Yesterday (Monday in the US) two friends and I spent the day working
like ants (I like ant hills, so this is a positive analogy) for one
of the major, non-government relief organizations in Dallas Texas. I
believe we have 20,000+ refugees in the area. The need is
overwhelming---the situation is pathetic---but the non-government
relief organizations are amazingly organized and efficient, more so
than any business or government agency that I have known. Within 15
minutes of arriving, they gave us a job and plugged us in. Everyone
was working at a job that needed to be done. There was no standing
around. We organized a gigantic warehouse full of supplies so they
could be distributed. It was incredible. Except for a handful of paid
staff, all of us were volunteers who have never done anything such as
this before. While I have no insider information, the donations
appear to be going to the correct needs---water and food first,
sanitation supplies next, then cots and clothing. Schooling for kids
has starting. Jobs for adults and permanent housing will be next. It
will take months to get it all done. The relief folks are great. The
organization was not the Red Cross, but I am sure they are efficient
also, because, at least in Dallas the large organizations are working
together. Thanks for this suggestion, Joe and Gary.

On Sep 3, 2005, at 5:00 PM, Joseph C. Slater wrote:

> Dear Friends/Colleagues,
>
> We apologize for going off topic, but Gary and I have, for many
> years, provided at no cost the service of both this mailing list as
> well as as the TeX on Mac OS X website. We have never asked for
> anything substantial in return. Given current events, however, we
> feel compelled to ask for your generosity in supporting the victims
> of of Hurricane Katrina by donating to the American Red Cross at:
>
> http://www.redcross.org/donate/donate.html
>
> Every amount donated will reflect your appreciation for the efforts
> we make to maintain this site as the one of the best resources
> available for Mac TeX users. We hope that you can give even the
> smallest amount will help to alleviate the suffering of the victims.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gary and Joe

> (+1) 937-775-5085
> http://www.cs.wright.edu/~jslater