[OS X TeX] Prevent Acrobat Reader From Opening Files?

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 20:07:59 CEST 2005

On 10/28/05, Adam Maxwell <amaxwell at mac.com> wrote:

> On Friday, October 28, 2005, at 10:16AM, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >I am annoyed by the fact that Acrobat Reader(AR) tries to open some
> >PDFs. I already UNchecked the option "Display the PDF in browser using
> >Acrobat Reader" in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader's. But apparently
> >AR has a its own mind and RE-check that option itself. This has
> >happens several times.
> >
> >A while ago, BibDesk got crashed exactly due to AR ...
>
> Yes, I had to disable plugin loading in BibDesk and TCOBrowser because of Adobe Reader. <remainder of rant deleted>
>
> >Does anyone know a way to prevent AR from opening PDFs? I still want
> >to keep the program in my laptop. However, if it's impossible to make
> >it behave, maybe to delete completely is the only way to go -- in this
> >case, how do I remove AR completely?
>
> Since I need AR occasionally for filling out forms, after installing it I went into Safari's bundle and removed its plugin stuff (the Frameworks directory).  I then opened up AR's bundle and removed the plugin stuff from there so it could no longer "heal" itself, otherwise it keeps reinstalling this crap.  I think there's also a plugin in /Library somewhere that you have to delete.
>
> YMMV; this is all unsupported, unrecommended, and may render things unusable.
>
> I continue to find it unbelievable that a commercial software company uses such dirty hacks as modifying Safari's bundle.  I use input managers to do similar things (I wrote one), but at least you have to choose to install those, and you can easily remove them.  I'm surprised MacInTouch hasn't written this up as a virus.
>
> Adam

Herb, Justin, Stefano, and Adam,

Thanks for all the very helpful reply. I have managed to delete the
plug-in. Hope this prevents it from acting up again. :-)

Hasn't Adobe realized this trick only causes troubles but nothing else? Geez.

Also, I posted at BibDesk as well cause I thought BibDesk users would
be interested as well, and they might have run into the more serious
problem as I did ... but I will refrain from cross-posting then.

JT