[OS X TeX] Prevent Acrobat Reader From Opening Files?

Justin C. Walker justin at mac.com
Fri Oct 28 19:26:56 CEST 2005

On Oct 28, 2005, at 10:15 , Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> I am annoyed by the fact that Acrobat Reader(AR) tries to open some
> PDFs. I already UNchecked the option "Display the PDF in browser using
> Acrobat Reader" in the Preferences of Acrobat Reader's. But apparently
> AR has a its own mind and RE-check that option itself. This has
> happens several times.
>
> A while ago, BibDesk got crashed exactly due to AR ...
>
> Does anyone know a way to prevent AR from opening PDFs? I still want
> to keep the program in my laptop. However, if it's impossible to make
> it behave, maybe to delete completely is the only way to go -- in this
> case, how do I remove AR completely?

I have managed to get this to work, but I can't give you a precise
algorithm.  You should quit your browser(s), then uncheck this
checkbox and quit Reader.  Some sequence like that finally gave me an
unchecked preference in Reader.  I had to do a lot of second-guessing
regarding how things might work in order to find success, but it did
work.

An alternative is to check (e.g. with 'lsof') to see what Reader plug-
ins your browser is using, and then rename them or move them out of
the way.  That's a bit more invasive and potentially ugly, though.

Regards,

Justin

PS: please don't cross-post.

--