[OS X TeX] LaTeX with Chinese Characters

Jonathan Kew jonathan_kew at sil.org
Wed Oct 19 14:09:39 CEST 2005

On 19 Oct 2005, at 12:55 pm, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> On 10/18/05, Jose Figueroa-O'Farrill <j.m.figueroa at ed.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> Jung-Tsung> I was trying to compile a document containing chinese
>> Jung-Tsung> characters...
>>
>> You may want to install XeTeX from Jonathan's Kew directory in the
>> i-Installer.  There's been a recent thread at the XeTeX mailing list
>> (xetex at tug.org) about vertical and right-to-left typesetting of
>> Chinese texts.  I've been using XeTeX with Japanese characters
>> (embedded in a mostly romaji document) and it works like a charm.
>>
>> Cheers, José
>>

>   José,
>
> Thanks very much for the information. To accommodate Chinese
> characters in the document seems to be more involved than I originally
> expected -- I was thinking this achieved by invoking a package or sort
> alike.
> I don't need either the vertical, or the right-to-left typesetting,
> just the ability to compile Chinese characters ... :-|

With XeTeX, using Chinese characters in the document is pretty
simple; you just select a font that supports the characters (easiest
if you use the fontspec package with LaTeX), and enter the characters
directly. From the CJKsample.tex file that is included with XeTeX
examples:

% (preamble...)
\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\setromanfont{Apple LiSung Light}

% (in body of document...)
\section{Entering CJK text}

You can just enter Unicode text directly in the document: 你好.
Don't use legacy \LaTeX\ packages such as \verb|inputenc| or \verb|
CJK|, as \XeTeX\ reads the text as Unicode characters...

% Simple as that!

(Note: this email is being sent in UTF-8 encoding; hope your email
client reads it properly, otherwise the Chinese above will be garbled.)

Regards,

Jonathan