[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Packages release

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Oct 14 17:31:51 CEST 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 15:57, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2005, at 8:52 AM, Chris Goedde wrote:
>

>> I'm a little confused by all this discussion. In the "old" gwTeX, you
>> could put personal style files in ~/Library/texmf and TeX would
>> automatically find them. Are you saying that this is no longer the
>> case going forward (without command-line intervention)? Or are you
>> only talking about font files and associated map files?
>>
>> Chris Goedde
>>

> Howdy,
>
> The search when using (La)TeX still follows the usual path so that
> isn't a problem. As you suggested, it has to do with installing fonts
> and creating format (.fmt) files.

To be precise, it has to do with configuring TeX. Think font maps,
paper size, etc. System-wide configuration settings are available to
all users. The ~/Library/texmf is available to each individual user.

The stuff in ~/Library/texmf (sty files etc) is still automatically
found when you run TeX. It is just that if you *configure* TeX using
the TeX i-Package it is ignored.