[OS X TeX] right place for a .map line

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Fri Oct 14 17:14:13 CEST 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 10:00 AM, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> OK, let me see if I understand this since I really do want to get
> it right and, as I said before, my head is spinning with all this
> new stuff.
>
> So I should take everything that I currently have in:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/
>
> and put it in:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
>
> Is that correct? Or, does this just apply to fonts and font-related
> files? If I do this and I re-install TeX, what happens? Does
> everything in there disappear? The nice thing about:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/
>
> is that it is in *my* home directory and *I* control it.
>
> Please advise so that my head stops spinning. My neck is starting
> to hurt. :-)
>
> -- Gary

Howdy,

That will work fine. You can keep private packages/classes in your
personal branch but anything that ends up being system wide (like
your font mapping in updmap.cfg and the maps it creates, which end up
in texmf.local) should be in texmf.local. It actually makes sense
since the font mapping becomes system wide the fonts should also be
system wide.

In general, updates to the TeX i-package don't destroy things you've
added in texmf.local. You need only be careful if you do an un-
install of the TeX i-package since that will delete texmf.local along
with everything else in /usr/local/teTeX/. If you are uncomfortable
make a copy of the texmf.local directory before installing an update
and put your stuff back in the new copy IF it is replaced; as I said
VERY rare.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)