[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Packages release

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Oct 14 06:58:50 CEST 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 06:12, Axel E. Retif wrote:

> On Oct 13, 2005, at 3:53 AM, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> Am 12.10.2005 um 03:58 schrieb Axel E. Retif:
>>
>>> Does this mean that in command line we still _have_ to make a
>>> distinction between updmap and updmap-sys?
>>
>> In TeX Live 2005: yes, of course! And it makes a difference whether
>> you invoke 'sudo -H utility-sys ...' or 'sudo utility-sys ...' ...
>
> This surely has caused some headaches to some of us! I understand the
> difference between 'utility ...' and 'sudo utility-sys ...', but I
> still don't understand the difference between 'sudo utility-sys ' and
> 'sudo -H utility-sys ' or 'sudo -H -u root utility-sys '.

"-H" means that you get the HOME directory of the user you are sudo-ing
to. In the case of utility, that means that if you are user foo and you
call
	sudo utility-sys
your personal stuff in ~/Library/texmf *is* found, while if you do
	sudo -H utility-sys
your personal stuff in ~/Librarytexmf *is not* found, but the stuff in
root's home directory ~root/Library/texmf *is*.

"-u root" is my kind of computer hygiene: be explicit. So, "sudo -H -u
root" is equivalent to "sudo -H"

> On Oct 12, 2005, at 2:42 PM, Gerben Wierda wrote:
>
>> Compatible with TL2004 (written in texmf.local but ~/Library/texmf is
>> *not* ignored):
>>
>> 1. Install in ~/Library/texmf of texmf.local
>> 2. Run:
>>     sudo updmap-sys --enable Map foo.map
>
> This is what has worked for me. I have my map files (and corresponding
> fonts) in ~/Library/texmf and then run 'sudo updmap-sys ' to enable
> them.

"sudo utility-sys" of now is equivalent to "sudo utility" of earlier
days. I use the -H varant now to make sure the system-wide config is
not dependent on who runs the configure. It is cleaner that way.