[OS X TeX] altpdflatex - back compatibility please

Frank STENGEL fstengel at mac.com
Tue Oct 11 21:08:41 CEST 2005

Le 11 oct. 05 à 18:44, Jung-Tsung Shen a écrit :

> Thanks for the info. on TCOBrowser. I did look at it before from the
> suggestion on this mailing list. There's still differences: in MikTeX,
> it's one step process. Imagine this: in your document, you put
> \usepackage{geometry}, because either you copy/get some lines in your
> document from the Internet/friends and you are instructed to include
> this package. When you compile your document, a friendly windows pops
> up and asks: "Howdy, you don't have the package `geometry' installed,
> would you like me to do that for you?" After the permission is
> granted, it goes ahead to get it, expand it, and installs it in fly,
> and the compilation continues. A few seconds later, you see your
> beautiful masterpiece in PDF.

This really interesting idea comes at a price: the makers of MiKTeX
had to modify the TeX executables. One cannot use the web2c sources
(the fancy name for the "official" *nix sources) to produce this
unless one heavily modifies them and takes them out of the main
development tree...

--
Frank STENGEL (fstengel<at>mac.com)