[OS X TeX] Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 11 12:23:52 CEST 2005

Am 11.10.2005 um 12:10 schrieb Jonathan Kew:

> On 10 Oct 2005, at 3:50 pm, Maarten Sneep wrote:
>
>> Jaguar (10.2.8):
>
>> -- Minor issues:
>> -- -- ghostscript and everything else in /usr/local/bin is not
>> available from the command line.
>
> Just a possibility: Note that if you have an existing Terminal window
> running tcsh (which was the default shell back in 10.2 days), the
> addition of /usr/local/bin to the path won't take effect there unless
> you issue the "rehash" command. This could make it appear, in a brief
> test, as though ghostscript etc is unavailable, whereas perhaps it
> would have worked in future Terminal sessions.

A rehash in tcsh or bash does make them re-read their rc files, they
just rebuild the hashes from the contents of the PATH elements. Maarted
would have needed to launch a new Terminal. This makes tcsh really to
re-initialise itself. Then the new component /usr/local/bin would show
up.

Is the Installer patching /etc/profile and /etc/csh.login?

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on
top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of
things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible
concentration."   -Donald Knuth