[OS X TeX] Re: Maarten's Bugs for MacTeX Distribution

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Oct 10 23:57:29 CEST 2005

On 10 Oct 2005, at 23:04, Richard Koch wrote:

> Correction. Version 1.41 of TeXShop declares that it is version
> 1.41 on Mac OS 10.4,
> but on Mac OS 10.2 it claims to be 1.35. I don't know what happens
> on 10.3.
> It also doesn't run on 10.2.

That's what I noticed :)

> I'll recompile it on 10.2 and see if it works there. HOWEVER:

OK, I'll await the announcment of the next package.

> When we originally made the MacTeX package, we talked about
> requiring at least
> system 10.3. The long list of bugs Maarten discovered on 10.2
> suggests that we
> should revisit this decision and probably require 10.3.
>
> What do others think of this?

Given the fact that XeTeX is broken, and may not be ready for
inclusion for system 10.2,
and the other issues mentioned on the list, I think we should try to
provide something
that works, but with a stern warning that support for 10.2 is very
limited, and that many
applications will function below their intended level. State on the
disk that
"10.3 is recommended, but you may be lucky with system 10.2", or
something similar.

My remark that it isn't ready for release has to do with a list of
three issues, one of which
might be easily fixed (TeXShop), another can be relatively easily
fixed, if we can include the
missing file (texexec) and another will probably not be fixed (XeTeX).

If the first two are actually fixed, I'm happy to say that 10.2 "has
limited support". OTOH,
given the headache 10.2 support is causing, we may make our
volunteers a lot happier if
we just drop 10.2. Are there any stats on the use of 10.2?

Maarten