[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] Re: "I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!"

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 10 02:14:22 CEST 2005

On Oct 10, 2005, at 01:58, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 10.10.2005 um 01:03 schrieb Gerben Wierda:
>
>>> And it's needed that all non-sys scripts are invoked à la 'sudo -H
>>> i-Installer's remains easily afterwards.
>>
>> I did not understand this sentence.
>>

> Since the files and directories created in the ~/Library/texmf tree
> are owned by root the user can't remove them easily.

This is a problem of the XeTeX package that was using the personal
fmtutil as root with the HOME directory not changed. My packages have
not  created this recently.

> The install scripts therefore should run the non-sys utilities in a
> non-system-wide installation with sudo -H -u $realname <the utility +
> args> to make the utlities' output owned by the user and not root.

This is already the case.

> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/*/fontinst is a good place for MAP files:
> updmap-sys finds them there!

That is not good. updmap-sys should be run wth sudo -H -u root so that
stuff from other users are not found. Otherwise, updmap-sys run by one
user gives different results than run by another (another example why
this whole -sys stuff is a mess).