[OS X TeX] New TeX i-Packages/fat volume

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon Oct 10 00:56:41 CEST 2005

Folks,

The recently introduced support for per-user configuration in the
i-Package has been changed/patched. As it is now, configuring
system-wide will hopefully not suffer from interference from existing
per user settings anymore.

I advise people to only use system-wide configuration and to choose
Remove per-user settings (removes web2c subdirectory, language.dat and
updmap results from your ~/Librarytexmf texmf tree) during the TeX
i-Package configuration phase.

Support for per-user configuration is incomplete. Do not use it unless
you really need it.

The -sys variants of the teTeX command line configuration tools and the
change in default behaviour are giving me headaches.

For those working with the command line tools or i-Package authors, the
following commands can be used to make sure both types of configuration
do not interfere (change 'updmap' into texconfig. fmtutil, kpsewhich,
etc. with their arguments and 'user' in an account name):

For per-user configuration on a 2005-based system:

	sudo -H -u user updmap

For system-wide configuration on a 2005-based system

	sudo -H -u root updmap-sys

For system-wide configuration on a 2004 or 2003 system:

	sudo updmap

Using this old command on a 2005-based system will get you
administrator-owned configuration files in your home directory, and
that is not what you want.

I am afraid this has all become very complicated but I can do nothing
about that because I am down stream wrt to these changes. They are part
of teTeX and have been accepted into TeX Live.