[OS X TeX] Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Oct 7 12:37:44 CEST 2005

> 1) What is the difference between gwTeX and teTeX?

In terms of the end result after installation: my redistribution is
based on the following:

- For the programs and scripts: TeX Live. Added to this is ps2eps, my
simpdftex and my version of epstopdf and a few changes (e.g. my
standard fmtutil.cnf and texdoc). I used to be based on teTeX a long
while ago but TeX Live had more tools, so I switched. TeX Live and
teTeX share a lot of stuff, like the maintenance scripts and such.
- For the basic texmf tree I use the teTeX texmf tree. I fix a few
things there until Thomas updates again (oberdiek, LM, microtype). This
is the texmf.tetex tree.
- Added to these are my additional TeX packages, fonts etc, like tipa,
etc. in a separate texmf.gwtex tree. Most of these come from TeX Live.
Some parts are optional installs in the TeX i-Package (e.g. beamer).

Afaik, the MacTeX disk is based on a full install of my TeX i-Package.

Apart from this (which is all in the TeX i-Package) there are a couple
of additional i-Packages (of which I am unsure if they have been
installed on the MacTeX disk):
- CM-Super fonts (58MB)
- CB-Greek fonts (5MB)
- MusixTeX (5MB)
- ConTeXt Updater (2-4MB depending on the availability of a ConTeXt
beta) (my system tracks ConTeXt releases and updates this i-Package
automatically whenever ConTeXt has seen a release)

And apart from that there are some support tools like ghostscript-8,
ImageMagick which sometimes come in handy. I do not know what is on the
MacTeX disk.