[OS X TeX] Pdftricks doesn't seem to fit with the new gwTeX distribution

Franck Pastor pastor at fusl.ac.be
Mon Oct 3 07:12:51 CEST 2005

Le 02-oct.-05 à 23:43, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> Howdy,
>
> I don't know if others have tried to use pdftex but I get an error
> with it with the TL2005 install. I didn't notice it before because
> I only use a personal format with pdftex and I already had rebuilt
> that.
>
> There seems to be a problem with the production of the pdftex.fmt
> file so pdftex fails when pdfcrop tries to run it. As a VERY
> TEMPORARY fix you can do the following:
>
> Open Terminal.app and run the command
>
> pdfetex -ini --translate-file=cp227.tcx \*pdftex.ini
>
> which will produce a pdftex.fmt and pdftex.log file in your home
> directory. Move the pdftex.fmt file to ~/Library/texmf/web2c/ (you
> may have to build both the texmf and the web2c directories if they
> don't exist already). You may delete the pdftex.log file. Then both
> the original pdftricks and my modified package will start to work
> properly.
>
> Once a general fix is announced remove that fmt file or any changes
> in that format or configuration (rare these days) will not be
> reflected.
>
> I did notice that the lines for creating pdftex.fmt in fmtutil.cnf
> didn't have the -ini option for pdfetex.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Thanks, I have tried this, but the result is the same on my previous
test file: 3 pages; anyway you seem to be right when you think there
is a problem with pdftex, since I get this message from the log file:

PDFCROP 1.5, 2004/06/24 - Copyright (c) 2002, 2004 by Heiko Oberdiek.
!!! Error: pdfTeX run failed!

Without the pdftex.fmt in ~/Library/texmf/web2c, I get this :

PDFCROP 1.5, 2004/06/24 - Copyright (c) 2002, 2004 by Heiko Oberdiek.
==> 1 pages written on `Sans-titre-fig1-crop.pdf'.

:-(

I will try to run this file with my ancient TeX configuration to see
what says the log file...