[OS X TeX] Spotlight and invisibles

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sat Oct 1 15:46:29 CEST 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 6:16 AM, David Oliver wrote:

> Can someone supply strategies for getting spotlight in 10.4 to
> search invisible files, such as usr, etc.  (slightly OT, but TeX is
> the principal vehicle that often sends me to those files.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Oliver

Howdy,

You can do

sudo mdimport -f /usr/local/teTeX

where the -f option forces the search even though /usr/... is on the
Mac's don't search list. I believe that when things change you'll
have to run it again since this is a one time thing.

If you'd rather use the GUI download SpotlightIndexer <http://
www.kelleycomputing.net/> a freeware GUI interface to mdimport. Make
sure you have Force Import checked in its preferences and add /usr/
local/teTeX/ to the list. I've also added /usr/local/bin/, /usr/local/
share/ and several of the sub-directories of /Developer/ (e.g., the
Reference Library). These stick so it's easy to redo the search when
things change.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)