[OS X TeX] TL2005 is there: TeX i-Packages based on TL2005 released

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Sat Oct 1 13:43:37 CEST 2005

On Oct 1, 2005, at 11:52, Simon Spiegel wrote:

> Thank you very much for your work. Is there a changelog for TL2005,
> have there been some significant changes which affect the common user?
> Googling didn't bring up anything.

TL2005 has fewer bugs than TL2004 (e.g. TeX4ht etc) and a more recent
pdfeTeX 3.141592-1.30.3-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5). Other parts have also been
updated. I cannot keep track of everything myself, but using this
generally is better than using the TL2004 version (pdfeTeX
3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)). The most important setup/layout
changes for TeX were in the TL2003-TL2004 transition.

An important change is with respect to detecting pdfTeX versus normal
TeX. There used to be a hack that worked which does not work anymore
with the setup these days. Nowayday, using ifpdf.sty (in either LaTeX
or plain TeX) is the preferred way of detecting PDFTeX vs normal TeX:

% Use:       LaTeX: \usepackage{ifpdf}
%            plain: \input ifpdf.sty
%            The package provides the switch \ifpdf:
%              \ifpdf
%                ... do things, if pdfTeX is running in pdf mode ...
%              \else
%                ... other TeX or pdfTeX in dvi mode ...
%              \fi
%            The package can also be used to set global
%            documentclass options:
%              \RequirePackage{ifpdf}
%              \ifpdf
%                \documentclass[pdftex,...]{...}
%              \else
%                \documentclass[...]{...}
%              \fi

Basically, I have been using my TL2005-based setup for a few months now
and have not encountered any serious problem.