[OS X TeX] references and bibliographies

Denis Chabot chabotd at globetrotter.net
Tue Nov 29 16:31:21 CET 2005

Hi,

I apologize for posting on two lists at once, but I think both are
appropriate for this question related to the bibliography of an
article. Using "makebst" I made a style for the journal where I
intend to submit. But "makebst" did not allow me to discriminate
between the sorting of references in the reference list or to in-text
citations (in author-year format). I need these to be different:
references listed in the bibliography must be in alphabetical order
at a first level, then for multiple references by the first author,
papers with a single author should be listed first in chronological
order, followed by references where the same author is first author,
and those are also sorted chronologically.

I chose

%<<ORDERING OF REFERENCES (if author-year citations)
%   %: (def) Alphabetical by all authors
    seq-lab,%: By label (Jones before Jones and James before Jones et
al)
% seq-key,%: By label and cite key instead of label and title, as above
%  seq-yr,%: Year ordered and then by authors (for publication lists)
% seq-yrr,%: Reverse year ordered and then by authors (most recent
first)
% seq-no,%: Citation order (unsorted, only meaningful for numericals)
%------\ans=l(==seq-lab)-------

and it seems to work (at least I have not encountered an exception
that broke this rule in this short paper).

But this setting influences both the order of references in the
bibliography and in the text, whereas I need multiple in-text
citations to be sorted chronologically.

Is it possible to specify a different sorting order for citations,
possibly "no sorting" (I'd have to sort them manually) or preferably
a sorting of my choice?

Here is an example:
"...in older specimens \citep{Gudger1935, Wheeler1969, Nickerson1978,
Scott1988, Collette2002}."

I need:
"...in older specimens (Gudger & Firth 1935; Wheeler 1969; Nickerson
1978; Scott & Scott 1988; Collette & Klein-MacPhee 2002).

What I get instead is:
"...in older specimens (Collette & Klein-MacPhee 2002; Gudger & Firth
1935; Nickerson 1978; Scott & Scott 1988; Wheeler 1969).

The bibliography is sorted correctly:

Collette, B. B. & G. Klein-MacPhee. 2002...
Gudger, E. W. & F. E. Firth. 1935...
Nickerson, J. T. R. 1978...
Scott, W. B. & M. G. Scott. 1988...
Wheeler, A. C. 1969.