[OS X TeX] Vertical center text alignment

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Nov 29 02:01:11 CET 2005

On Nov 28, 2005, at 6:43 PM, Vicky Lamburn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My first real question, and probably something that would take five
> seconds for a seasoned user to solve.  I have looked high and low
> and and cannot find the answer.
>
> My quandary is that I wish to vertically centre some text on a page
> for a book's copyright notice but I am really unsure how to go
> about doing this.  It is for a book.
>
> I have looked around but can only find information for vertically
> centring in tables.
>
> Any guidance would be deeply appreciated.
>
> Vicky

Howdy,

As long as your page design is vertically centered on the page you
might get away with:

\documentclass{article}
\title{Put the Title Here}
\date{}
\pagestyle{empty}
\begin{document}
\maketitle
\thispagestyle{empty}
% here's the page
\pagebreak
\mbox{}% to get into horizontal mode
\vfill
\begin{center}
Centered Info
\end{center}
\vfill
\pagebreak
% end of page
Some more text on the next page.
\end{document}

and there are probably much less dirty ways of doing it. Note:
without that \mbox{} the vertical glue would disappear at the top of
the page.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)