[OS X TeX] TeX & Mathematica 5.2

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 00:12:56 CET 2005

On 11/28/05, David Derbes <loki at uchicago.edu> wrote:
> This may not be what Themis et. al. have in mind, but...
>
> I use Mathematica mostly to generate graphs (and answers.) It is easy
> to export the cells containing the graphs as EPS. Probably everyone
> knows how to do this, but just in case...
>
> First, select the region with the graph by clicking on it.
> Next, in the "Edit" menu, select "Save Selection As" and choose EPS.
> Then, if you want to add text or otherwise alter the graphic, open it
> in Illustrator and make the changes (and save the file as EPS.)
> Whether or not you've changed it in Illustrator, if you then open
> this EPS in TeXShop, presto, a nice PDF that you can include easily
> in LaTeX.
>
> This probably is not what you had in mind (you probably wanted the
> nice notebooks created in Mathematica to export directly to LaTeX),
> but as long as I can get the gorgeous graphs into my own LaTeX text,
> I'm happy.
>
> David Derbes

I am repeating an issue that was recently discussed on this mailing list:

In case the size of the Mathematica-generated EPS is "large", say,
~2.5 MB (:D), it would result in slow rendering in both Illustrator
and TeXShop. One of the workaround is to save the figure in a
compressed form using, say, GraphicConverter, into a file of about 200
KB. The difference in rendering speed is dramatic, but in visual is
quite small.

Some other good useful suggestions can be found from the original thread.

JT