[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Nov 28 11:02:24 CET 2005

Am 28.11.2005 um 02:05 schrieb Cameron Hooper:

> Spotlight fails to find tex-site.el anywhere on my system.

There were a few lengthy threads about Spotlight not finding TeX
related material on Tiger. Once you install the complete YACED (with
AUCTeX and preview-latex too, just to test whether these work at least
in YACED, I rely on my own installations) with the MDI importer,
Spotlight would be able to index TeX related material -- if it would
search inside an application bundle. Herbert Schulz doubts this ...

I am using locate, on Panther. It's 'database' only gets updated once,
and I don't know anything about the contents of the files, but my
PowerBook is pretty silent and idle.

There must be some reason that Aquamacs Emacs searches in ~/Emacs for
ELisp files. This is a completely unconventional place. It looks like a
mistake done in some customisation where a '/' was forgotten or a
newline was input. My Aquamacs Emacs does not work because it loads
without any reason code for GNU Emacs 20 so I can't really check how it
would behave. All I can tell is that the Japanese Carbon Emacs, which
is a parent to Aquamacs Emacs, has AUCTeX and preview-latex in its
application bundle. And these internals get loaded! (YACED has nothing
in its application bundle, it uses my own installation in
/Library/Application Support/Emacs or its own package in the same
place.) One problem can be that YACED's AUCTeX and preview-latex are a
bit old. At this time a few routines in making, installing, and setting
up AUCTeX and preview-latex were a bit 'faulty,' or, to be more
precise, were not fit enough to handle spaces in a file's or
directory's name, what appears in Mac OS quite often. Since a few month
these flaws are gone.

Check the value of load-path! You can break down a copy of the long
string into path elements in *scratch* buffer.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Specifications are for the weak and timid!"