[OS X TeX] Re: dvipdf vs. dvipdfm vs. dvipdfmx

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Nov 27 23:56:17 CET 2005

Am 27.11.2005 um 19:29 schrieb Arthur Snoke:

> I am not familiar with dvipdfm -- or dvipdfmx.  I have been using
> dvipdf as a shortcut for dvips => ps2pdf.  I would appreciate it if
> someone could point me to a comparison among these options.
> Specifically, what do I lose by using dvipdf?

I think dvipdfm was the first convertor to create PDF from TeX sources,
with just DVI as a used to intermediate output. dvipdfm developed to a
splendid application that could handle many advanced issues, for
example extra PostScript or TrueType fonts, graphics inclusion, or
hyper text (hyperref). dvipdfmx extends this to handle Unicode.

dvipdf is close to an efficient hack, good for simple documents. Font
issues should not come up since dvips has its own MAP file. It's a very
simple script that takes only options to optimise the PS to PDF
conversion, but that's splendid:

	dvips -q -f "$infile" | gs $OPTIONS -q -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH
-sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile="$outfile" $OPTIONS -c .setpdfwrite -

The DVI file is converted to PS by dvips. No output file is created
yet, all goes via a pipe into Ghostscript (gs) that creates the output
PDF file. There are means missing to handle errors. You can't tell
dvips that you're using another than the standard paper size. simpdftex
(the former altpdftex) does a much better and more precise job.
hyperref is of course supported because the 'distiller' (gs) does the
final implementation.

--
Greetings

   Pete

   It's not the valleys in life I dread so much as the dips.
		-- 	Garfield