[OS X TeX] Re: EPS files displayed as blank white box with latest TeX version (latex + Ghostscript)

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 21 14:56:24 CET 2005

On Nov 21, 2005, at 7:32 AM, Markus Hänchen wrote:

> Piet van Oostrum wrote:
>> Try first if things work in Terminal:
>> Open a Terminal window and give the following commands:
>> (Substitute the directory where your LaTeX file resides for "Your
>> directory", and substitute the filename of your LaTeX document for
>> test.
>> cd "Your directory"
>> latex test
>> dvips -o test.ps test.dvi
>> open test.ps
>
> I get "-bash: latex: command not found" on running the first command.

Howdy,

When you use i-installer to install the ghostscript package it asks
if it should modify the path to include /usr/local/bin/ (I believe).
If you answer NO then the path may not be found and many useful
commands may not be found. The same is true if you do an expert
install/configure of the TeX i-package and don't allow the CLI
interface to be installed.

Finally, are you sure you have a TeX distribution installed? Use the
Go-Go to Folder Menu item in Finder to try to switch to /usr/local/
teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin6.8/ and see if the latex command is
indeed there.

Now I don't remember... are you using the Fink distribution or gwTeX
(i.e., the i-installer distribution)?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)