[OS X TeX] RE: Newbie TeTex font installation

Thomas A. Schmitz thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de
Sun Nov 20 00:00:47 CET 2005

On Nov 19, 2005, at 2:00 AM, "Peter Dyballa" wrote:

> True, for what in the end comes out, it is a bit unsatisfactory.
> When I
> want to return to the lining digits I would have to make a new font
> installation. And the document can't have both at the same time.
>
> But this is ConTeXt: you sea a brilliant idea realised. But when it
> comes to using it, it's often very hard to find out, how to do it
> right
> and in the end it's not really that what you wanted.

I know that Pete has been immensely helpful on this list, so I
refrain from calling his post the name it deserves. Let me just point
out that it's plain wrong: The fact that you have to install a "new
font" when you want both lining and oldstyle figures is a consequence
of the TeX 256-character limit and has nothing to do with pdftex or
truetype fonts. Of course you can have both variants in one document,
that's what ConTeXt typescripts are for. And it's painfully obvious
that Pete doesn't know much about ConTeXt, so these wildly
generalising remarks are not appropriate.

As for faked small caps and artificial slanting of fonts: I find this
pretty uninteresting as the typographical quality is more than doubtful.

Cheers

Thomas