[OS X TeX] Which encoding should I use?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Fri Nov 18 23:31:18 CET 2005

Am 18.11.2005 um 22:56 schrieb Maarten Sneep:

> The current teTeX/TeXLive supports file-names with spaces:
> \input{"file name with spaces or än ümlaut"} (The double quotes are
> required, and you may need to use the same encoding as the underlying
> operating system: UTF-8 in the case of Mac OS X, if I'm not mistaken).
> Try it, I have no idea whether it will work.

This does work as input. But output, i.e. \jobname, is not the same.
The umlauts, or other diacritics, return as decomposed UTF-8, as ¨a for
example, in the way the file system stores them. That's either a pity
or a bug: TeX should know that on Mac OS X it gets confronted with this
kind of file system data. And convert it itself into the input encoding
format as given.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped. - Groucho Marx