[OS X TeX] Re: .tex and mdimport

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Nov 17 14:28:51 CET 2005

On Nov 17, 2005, at 6:32 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The problem is that there's no SpotLight importer other than LaTeX
> MDIMporter, which requires yaced (Yet Another Carbon Emacs
> Distribution) <http://yaced.sourceforge.net/>.

Howdy,

It seems to work as a separate mdimporter (in /Library/Spotlight/)
since I don't have YACED. I downloaded the installer; had it place
the importer on my Desktop (it still forced me to restart --- silly);
put it in /Library/Spotlight/; restarted again (for good luck); did a

mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/LaTeX.mdimporter

and, at least the .tex files in my home directory seemed to get
indexed. I later re-indexed /usr/local/teTeX to get those files
indexed too.

I still wonder if I can simply replace this importer with the
``official'' one, when it comes out, and force a re-index. Might have
to do a

mdutil -E /

and wait, and wait, ...

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)