[OS X TeX] tex files and mdimport

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 20:42:56 CET 2005

On Monday, November 14, 2005, at 09:05AM, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

>I don't know how many folks here also look at the TeXShop Forum
><http://www.apfelwiki.de/forum/viewforum.php?f=6> but there is an
>interesting note there about Spotlight and .tex files. It seems that,
>at least after the 10.4.3 update, .tex files are no longer searched
>for meta-data. I just checked this and it seems to be true: looking
>for some information (the word abbreviations which I know is in at
>least one of my .tex files) within on of my .tex files doesn't list
>that file. Apparently the file type for .tex files is dyn.... and
>those files aren't searched.

I don't think they should have been searched in the first place, so Spotlight is probably working (more) correctly now.  I wrote up a trivial importer that indexes .tex files by file content, \author, and \title.  Any other LaTeX commands that would be worth trying to parse for metadata?  If this would be useful, I'll release it under a BSD license as part of the mactextoolbox (if Maarten is agreeable).

-- Adam