[OS X TeX] What to do about missing PK font?

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Nov 8 00:59:22 CET 2005

Am 07.11.2005 um 23:52 schrieb John B. Thoo:

>   Missing PK font: cmex7.745 pk
>
> I suspect that the problem is the  \bigl(  and  \bigr)  because those
> brackets are missing in the view.
>
> How do I proceed to obtain and install the appropriate PK font?  Or is
> there another way to go?

Oh, that's not easy! I think I haven't had that problem since decades

Well, modern teTeX uses a script mktextfm. This is then reporting
something like:

	Running mktexpk --mfmode / --bdpi 600 --mag 1+57/600 --dpi 657 cmex7
	mktexpk: Running mf-nowin -progname=mf \mode:=ljfour; mag:=1+57/600;
nonstopmode; input cmex7

You see, it invokes another script and this invokes the real programme,
mf (METAFONT). It all depends on your printer's resolution (300 DPI,
400 DPI, 600 DPI, or more or less). And its mode (I use an HP LJ 4
comparable one).

To step into the present I'd recommend to install some PostScript fonts
(CM-Super, BaKoMa) and particularly Latin Modern. This last package
tries to substitute all CM based fonts with a family of OpenType fonts.
Once you've installed them you can use them in Latex simply via

	\usepackage{lmodern}

(in TeX probably \input lmodern.sty -- I'm more in LaTeX)

No intention to come into the new millennium?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?