[OS X TeX] file search

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Sun Nov 6 15:45:04 CET 2005

On Nov 6, 2005, at 8:23 AM, Themis Matsoukas wrote:

> I am new to Tiger and thoroughly confused with file search. It
> appears that tex files in the main tex tree, usr/local/tetex...,
> fail to show up in the file search. This despite the fact that I
> have set Visibility to "Visible and Invisible" and specify
> Macintosh HD as the search volume. For example, the file search for
> texmf.cnf turns out blank. What's the magic trick?

Howdy,

The problem is that File Search seems to use Spotlight searching and,
by default, Spotlight doesn't index /usr/... . If you want a GUI
interface the Spotlight search (mdimport) try SpotlightIndexer,
<http://www.kelleycomputing.net/spotlightindexer/index.php>.

Add /usr/local/teTeX/ to the index list and make sure to check off
`Force import' in the Preferences. That will index it but if things
change (e.g., you add files or install a new distribution of TeX)
you'll have to run it again. Fortunately, things don't change there
frequently. You could just use

sudo mdimport -f /usr/local/teTeX

but it's nice to be able to re-index at a click and I also have
indexed the developer documentation (which changes even slower than
TeX).

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)