[OS X TeX] Changing (memory) settings for pdfTeX (was: bigpdflatex)

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Mon May 30 14:20:27 CEST 2005

Sorry, I missed this thread until now.

Anyway, as far as I know the changes you make in
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf for the memory settings are not used when you
recreate formats. At least, this used to be so in the past. This is why my
distribution contains not a standard teTeX/TeX Live
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf but one with larger values
which I put on top of the TeX Live tree before I pack it.

I would have preferred to have these in /usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf of
course, but in the past that did not work while having them in any
location but /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf. Maybe that was
because in the past the memory settings were overwritten with any entry
that came later while for other settings (like PATHS) it is the other way
around (what has already been set will not be set in a later found
texmf.cnf file). That would also explain why mem_pdf_size.pdflatex would
work (is not overwitten because it does not exist in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf, while mem_pdf_size sec in
/usr/local/teTeX/texmf.cnf does not work because it is available in
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf/web2c/texmf.cnf and is thus overwritten.

Can someone confirm my guess that this is the situation?

Maybe I must ad an explanatory note in /usr/local/teTeX/temx.cnf

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>