[OS X TeX] Is there a bigpdflatex?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon May 30 11:34:19 CEST 2005

On 30 May 2005, at 11:22, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> What puzzles me is that Maarten states
>
> extra_mem_top = 2000000     % extra high memory for chars, tokens,
> etc.
> extra_mem_bot = 4000000     % extra low memory for boxes, glue,
> breakpoints, etc.
>
> and Ross cites
>
> extra_mem_bot    =        0 % extra high memory for chars, tokens,
> etc.
> extra_mem_top    =  2000000 % extra low memory for boxes, glue,
> breakpoints, etc.
>
> Trial *and* error still *the* method in academic research?

Oh, yes, of course! No, I pretty much set everything to max just to
make sure I never have to deal with it again. My half-step refinement
method is just a bit cruder than Ross's. Even then there are
parameters that will not grow beyond a certain value (that 9 MB
metapost output file can not be included by TeX - it will cause a
serious memory overflow).

Maarten

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>