[OS X TeX] Undesired Rotated Figure in Ps4Pdf & PSTricks

Herb Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu May 26 03:28:03 CEST 2005

On 5/18/05 9:28 AM, "Vince McGarry" <vmcgarry at austin.rr.com> wrote:

> On May 18, 2005, at 4:43 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Eureka! That works.
>>

> This is enlightening and it does work. Thanks, Bruno. Ross's remarks
> are interesting, as well. Although this recent addition may not be
> the best choice for "default" behavior, it appears that this will be
> the expected behavior of these scripts from now on.
>
>> It might then make sense to keep automatic rotation as the default
>> for both ps2pdf and epstopdf, but provide easy switches for the
>> user to modify this default on a per-file basis or in a pref file.
>
> Is it easy to provide "easy switches?"
>
> Vince

Howdy,

Sorry to take this long to get back top you but I've been out of town and
offline for the last week. It also gave me time to look over things like
ps2pdf13 and ps2pdfwr, etc., for an alternative to editing the latter. What
I discovered is that adding the -dAutoRotatePages=/None option to the
ps2pdf13 call works quite well since that is passed to ps2pdfwr and then
onto gs. The following ps4pdf.engine seems to work well:

#!/bin/sh
basefname=$(basename "$1" .tex)
# process the figures
latex --shell-escape "$1"
dvips -Ppdf -o "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
ps2pdf13 -dAutoRotatePages=/None "${basefname}-pics.ps"
"${basefname}-pics.pdf"
pdfcrop "${basefname}-pics.pdf"
/bin/mv "${basefname}-pics-crop.pdf" "${basefname}-pics.pdf"
/bin/rm "${basefname}-pics.ps" "${basefname}.dvi"
#process the file
pdflatex --shell-escape "$1"

where you can see that the -dAutoRotatePages=/None option has been added to
the ps2pdf13 line.

For those using my adaptation of pdftricks to use pdfcrop for correct
Bounding Boxes I've added that to it too. You can pick up the changed file
from my download site, <http://homepage.mac.com/herbs2/>, as
NewPdftricks.zip. I will try to make this an option to pdftricks with the
default being no auto-rotation but I'll need a little time.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>