[OS X TeX] Re: Pdftex versus TeX&Ghostscript

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 24 12:46:22 CEST 2005

Le 24 mai 05 à 08:38, Hanspeter Kraft a écrit :

> Is there a plan to correct this in the next version of TeX? It is
> somewhat awkward that one has to change the file everytime when I'm
> switching from pdftex to TeX&Ghostscript or back.

Hi,

No I don't think there are plans to change this. The new behaviour of
magnification and true units in pdfTeX is something not specific to
TeX on the Mac, but decided at the level of the core developers of
TeX for all platforms. I don't remember exactly all the pros and cons
of the discussion that took place last December on this list, but
IIRC the involved developer, Hartmut Henkel, seemed to have rather
strong feelings about the issue, arguing that the new behaviour is
indeed the correct one, that should always have been.

As for avoiding to change the input file, there's a specific LaTeX
package ifpdf.sty (at /Library/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/
oberdiek/ifpdf.sty), which can also be used in plain TeX. It defines
a test \ifpdf allowing you to write, for example:

     \input ifpdf.sty

and then:

     \magnification=\magstep3
     \ifpdf
       \input pdftexconfig
     \fi

or alternatively, for A4 paper, in case that is your default:

     \mag=\magstep3
     \hsize=210truemm \advance\hsize by-2truein
     \vsize=297truemm \advance\vsize by-2.1truein
     \ifpdf
       \input pdftexconfig
     \fi

Bruno Voisin