[OS X TeX] makeindex sorts badly with accents

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri May 20 16:28:51 CEST 2005

On 20 May 2005, at 16:14, Ralph Martin wrote:

> This is probably common to all versions of tetex, but has anyone
> else noticed that makeindex does not do a very good job of making
> the index when the entries contain accents:
>
> I tried to make an author index , and got the following issues
>
> \v{S}\'{\i}r came before entries starting with A, B, C etc: \v{S}
> \'{\i}r
>
> and
>
> M\"uller came before Martin
>
> The former definitely looks wrong, and while I am unsure what
> sorting order a real German dictionary uses,  intuitively to me at
> least, the latter also seems wrong.

You may have some luck with directly using 8-bit characters, but the
makeindex appendix in Lamport explicitly lists \"u as a case to be
treated separately: \index{fur at f\"{u}r}, or in your case: \index
{Muller at M\"{u}ller}, and sililar for \v{S}\'{\i}r.

(Makeindex will sort on the part before the @, while the second part
is put into the index).

HTMH

Maarten