[OS X TeX] Crossrefs in BibDesk?

Curtis Clifton curt.clifton at mac.com
Wed May 18 21:56:59 CEST 2005

On May 18, 2005, at 2:34 PM, Matthias Damm wrote:

>>> If the Title/Booktitle problem was solved as well, I personally was
>>> totally happy ...
>>>

>> This is the most urgent issue, I think, but I've forgotten the
>> particulars of the discussion (this is why we like those bug reports,
>> even if the sf.net tracker is hideously ugly).
>
> From my perspective, this is quite "easy" as well:
> The crossref feature is quite dumb and will ignore the proceedings
> volume's Title field if there is a Title field for the article (which
> usually is the case); but it will work correctly if the volume's title
> is given in the Booktitle field.
> Everything that would have be done is to add a Booktitle field with
> the Title information to all entries which might be crossref'd (and
> only to those), that is book and proceedings.

Warning, technical details ahead.  I don't know the BibDesk object
model.  But it seems like cross references could be treated using the
chain-of-responsibility pattern.  If the object representing an entry
is missing data for a particularly field, then the request could be
delegated to the object representing the cross-referenced entry (if
any).  The delegation would have to appropriately munge a booktitle
request into a title request of the delegee, but this munging could be
done with a simple hash table.  (I'm assuming that field lookups use a
key-value mechanism.)

I'll shut up now.  That's enough procrastinating for one day.  Back to
the dissertation...

Cheers,

Curt

Curtis Clifton, PhD Candidate
Dept. of Computer Science, Iowa State University
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~cclifton

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>