[OS X TeX] Memoir class and references

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Tue May 17 10:12:22 CEST 2005

On 17 May 2005, at 05:55, Damon Muller wrote:

> To start with, the Memoir manual states that the references should
> be in a "thebibliography" environment, which is fine. But it says
> it should be used as:
>
> \begin{thebibliography}{(exlabel)}
>
> And then goes on to say "The bibliography is typeset within the
> thebibliography environment. This takes one required argument,
> (exlabel), which is a piece of text as wide as the widest label in
> the bibliography".
>
> Maybe I'm thick, but I can't work out exactly what that means. Can
> someone provide an example?

Just use BibTeX, and all will be provided. That is a description, as
far as I can see, of the standard bibliography environment -
typically generated with BibTeX. May I suggest you investigate the
use of BibDesk to manage your databases?

> I'm also using apacite as the BibTeX style, which doesn't seem to
> be explicitly supported by Memoir, but does generally work okay.
> Unfortunately, however, it doesn't put the bibliography in its own
> chapter, which the class I was previously using (book, maybe) did.
>
> I'm not sure, however, whether the problem is due to apacite, or to
> me no understanding how to use the 'thebibliography' environment.

Others are in a better position to comment on this, but I've used
bibtex with Memoir to great success.

This effectively produces the following sequence of commands, puts
them in a file and inputs the file:

\begin{thebibliography}{100}

\bibitem{farman1985b}
J.~C. Farman, B.~G. Gardiner and J.~D. Shanklin, \enquote{Large
losses of total
   ozone in antarctica reveal seasonal {$\mathrm{ClO}_x$/$\mathrm{NO}
_x$}
   interaction}. \emph{Nature} \textbf{315}, 207--210 (1985).

. . .

\end{thebibliography}

There are some packages that interact with Memoir to put
bibliographies in sections, chapterbib is explicitly mentioned, and
natbib with teh sectionbib option does the same. By default things
should end up in a separate chapter though.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>