[OS X TeX] xetex, bibdesk and bibtex?

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sat May 14 09:43:22 CEST 2005

Le 12 mai 05 à 11:22, Jonas Wellendorf a écrit :

> I use bibdesk and texshop (newest versions for OS X 10.3). I have
> no problems with the combination latex+bibtex but when I use the
> combination xelatex+bibtex the characters “ and ” [quotationmarks]
> and – [m-dash] in my bibliography appear as ``, '' and -- in the
> typeset pdf-file.
> On my (Norwegian) keyboard I enter these characters as [alt+n], [alt
> +m] and [alt+-].
>
> How should I enter these characters to get the expected output? I
> would like to use the same bibtex database for botht ypes of
> documents.
>
> I use the UFT-8 encoding in bibdesk.

I am not sure regarding BibTeX (I don't use it), but regarding XeTeX
you should make sure the fonts are called with the option
":mapping=tex-text", as in:

     \DeclareFontFamily{U}{optima}{}
     \DeclareFontShape{U}{optima}{m}{n}
       {<-> "Optima\space Regular:mapping=tex-text"}{}

In case you're using the fontspec package, that should translate to:

     \setromanfont[Mapping=tex-text]{Optima Regular}

Also, did you make sure that, in your XeTeX document, you are using
the new syntax:

     %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
     %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

instead of the old syntax:

     %&program=xelatex
     %&encoding=UTF-8 Unicode

The file IMPORTANT_README in the TeXShop distro describes some
pitfalls related to this change. It may also be that you need to put
the second line (encoding-related) in your BibTeX file as well, to
make sure it is read by TeXShop with the proper encoding.

Hope this helps,

Bruno

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>