[OS X TeX] Adding packages in LaTeX equation editors?

Stephen Anderson stephen.anderson at yale.edu
Sat May 14 04:01:18 CEST 2005

The new generation of LaTeX equation editors (LaTeXit, TeXType) looks
very nice, given LinkBack as a way to get the results directly into
Keynote.  But so far it looks like main thing they're good for is
mathematical equations.  As a linguist, my needs are different.  For
instance, I would like to be able to typeset expressions with
phonetic symbols from the tipa font, but I don't see any way to do
that: putting a command like \usepackage[T1,safe]{tipa} in the editor
window gives an error since \usepackage can only appear in the
preamble.  Likewise for tree-drawing things.

So: is there some way to modify the preamble in one or the other of
these packages?  I may be missing something obvious, but neither is
exactly fully documented.

Thanks,

--
Steve Anderson