[OS X TeX] tiger and latex hint

Jonathan Nicholl tex at jnicholl.org
Thu May 12 02:27:45 CEST 2005

On 11 May 2005, at 22:47, John Rawnsley wrote:

> On 11 May 2005, at 20:38, Rene Borgella wrote:
>

>> Perhaps someone w/Tiger can take a look at the package
>> contents and see if there's any hint of the Curvus Pro
>> origins.
>>

> Perhaps the Grapher.app application signature of `CRVS' is a clue...
> (taken from the PkgInfo file)
>
> John
> --
>  John Rawnsley * <http://www.maths.warwick.ac.uk/staff/jhr.html>

It's definitely Curvus Pro X; I own a license. All the menus are
basically the same; the functionality is the same; even the examples
are the same. There are differences, but they are cosmetic. In fact,
the main difference seems to be the brushed metal interface. (You can
use Curvus Pro X to make LaTeX expressions in exactly the same way as
Grapher.)

If I double-click on my old Curvus Pro X documents when Grapher is
open but Curvus Pro X is not, a warning pops up: 'The document
"ABC.cpx" could not be opened. Grapher cannot open files in the
"Curvus Pro X Document" format.'

(I find the behavious here bizarre:

CPX open?    Grapher open?   Opens in
Yes              Yes                    CPX
Yes              No                     CPX
No               Yes                    Grapher
No               No                     CPX

Since when could one application, when open, steal responsibility for
a file type?)

I regret Apple's purchase of the application. The Arizona developers
(Jean et Simon Bovet; I think Simon wrote the code) were very
helpful, responded immediately to comments, and fixed bugs quickly.
Will Apple? They don't seem to have done much with the application
since they bought it.

Jonathan

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>