[OS X TeX] TeXshop, non european fonts and XeTeX

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 11 17:52:35 CEST 2005

Le 11 mai 05 à 16:45, Roberto Avanzi a écrit :

> I am using TeXShop 1.39 under OS X 10.3.9 and with the
> latest gwTeX packages.
> I just installed XeTeX 0.94, solved the ``usual'' problem
> of the XeLaTeX format missing, and tried to open a few
> examples.  I set the default encoding in the TeXShop
> editor to be UTF-8, then I opened a few of the sample files.
> However, I do not seem able to view the files correctly,
> I always see strange characters in lieu of the arabic,
> chinese, hindi, etc, fonts
>
> http://harmoniae.com/doge/arabic_tex.png
>
> Of course they compile correctly and I see arabic text
> in the pdf output.
>
> what should I do in order to view (and edit) the international
> characters with the TeXshop editor?

TeXShop switched to a new syntax for specifying the engine and
encoding. Details are there <http://www.uoregon.edu/~koch/texshop/
changes.html> (see "New features in 2.00 and 1.37"). You've got to
(1) set in TexShop the default encoding to UTF-8, (2) open you input
file -- the characters should now display correctly --, (3) change
the first two lines in your input file, (4) save and close it, (5)
set back the default encoding in TeXShop to its original setting, (6)
reopen your input file -- it should now display correctly.

HTH,

Bruno Voisin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>