[OS X TeX] A working version of emacs (fwd)

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed May 11 01:35:26 CEST 2005

Am 11.05.2005 um 00:54 schrieb Børre Ludvigsen:

> Would someone kindly point me to a working version of Emacs Cocoa, Aqua
> or X11 - whatever - that is utf-8 aware? I work with mixed
> chcaractersets like ascii,
> european and arabic both in LaTeX and html and need something that
> works.

For this you only have two options: GNU Emacs 22.0.50 from CVS, or
Unicode Emacs 23.0.0.

The first one has the advantage that you could make a working Carbon
version too, but: with many, many font problems. You have to get the
code from a CVS repository, the first time like

	setenv CVS_RSH  ssh
	cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs at savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co emacs

then you can update with

	setenv CVS_RSH  ssh
	cvs -z3 -d:ext:anoncvs at savannah.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs update emacs

At least the first time you have to cd into the emacs directory and
invoke configure, for example as:

	./configure --without-carbon --with-x --without-pop --with-xpm
--with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-png --with-gif --with-gtk
--with-x-toolkit=gtk

or

	./configure --without-carbon --with-x --without-pop --with-xpm
--with-jpeg --with-tiff --with-png --with-gif --with-x-toolkit=lucid

The first time and whenever you update an elisp file you have then to
invoke: make bootstrap. If only C code or other files are changed a
make bootfast is OK.

GNU Emacs 22.0.50 works quite fine with Unicode. There are some
esoteric errors. For example an ø is one encoding a different character
than in another, or put into other words: when you i-search in buffer
with one encoding for your first name you'll succeed. When you type in
another buffer with another encoding C-s C-s you'll fail!

Unicode Emacs is said to be really Unicode based, so ø should be ø in
every encoding it is in. I haven't checked yet. To get it you need
extra software: tla. You can get with Fink:

  i      arch-tla        1.3-1   Distributed revision control(archive)
system
  i      tla-tools       0.2004.p90-1    Useful tools for working with
GNU Arch
  i      xtla    0.9-1   Emacs front-end for arch-tla

To retrieve the code, first step is:

	tla register-archive
http://push.sourcecontrol.net/archives/miles@gnu.org--gnu-2005

then you can fetch the code:

tla get miles at gnu.org--gnu-2005/emacs--unicode--0

Updates you can fetch from the emacs--unicode--<patch number version>
directory like:

	tla update

Nice, eh? Again you need to configure and to 'make bootstrap'. Not so
nice is the compile time. GNU Emacs 22.0.50 will take more than half
hour, 23.0.0 will go towards 1h.

The Carbon versions are produced form the mac directories in the emacs
or emacs--unicode--<patch number version> directories with
./make-package. To create an updated package first remove the
EmacsInstaller.dmg (you can rename too) and 'make clean' in the emacs
or emacs--unicode--<patch number version> directories. Otherwise the
make-package script will surely fail.

Carbon Unicode Emacs does not launch on my Mac because it can't find
any fonts ...

For X11 I can send you my site-fontsets-X11.el file. For X11 you should
set in your shell's environment:

LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE=de_DE.UTF-8

or whatever you prefer, *with* UTF-8. Then you don't need to set up
that many things:

;LC_CTYPE;      (set-language-environment               'UTF-8)
;LC_CTYPE       (set-default-coding-systems             'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE       (setq file-name-coding-system           'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE       (setq default-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE       (setq coding-system-for-write           'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE;      (set-keyboard-coding-system             'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE       (set-terminal-coding-system             'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE;;     (set-clipboard-coding-system            'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE;;     (set-selection-coding-system            'utf-8)
;LC_CTYPE;      (set-language-environment               'German)
;LC_CTYPE;      (prefer-coding-system                   'iso-8859-15);
for LaTeX!
;LC_CTYPE;      (setq x-select-request-type '(UTF8_STRING COMPOUND_TEXT
TEXT STRING))
;       (modify-coding-system-alist 'process 'UTF-8 'UTF-8)
         (modify-coding-system-alist 'process "\\*shell\\*\\'"
'utf-8-unix)

I'm not sure whether the last line is OK ... and working! This is
important too: set an alias in your shell for ls! This alias should
contain -w to display in shell the UTF-8 glyphs of usual file names.
Setting the dired-listing-switches to some value with -w does not lead
to a correct display of UTF-8 names in dired buffers!

You know that you can launch Apple's quartz-wm as a proxy for your
preferred Window Manager? It's

	quartz-wm --only-proxy &

then you can exchange regions of text between GNU Emacs and Mac apps.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me."
		-- Hunter S. Thompson

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>