[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue May 10 13:00:02 CEST 2005

Am 10.05.2005 um 06:03 schrieb Gordon Sick:

> I've got X11 installed, but it doesn't contain pdffonts or pdfinfo.

X11 is not enough, it's just the basis for more programmes (X or X11
clients). The xpdf programme package contains the command line tool
mentioned.

> The document PDF Producer is listed as Apple pstopdf of AFPL
> Ghostscript 8.51,

Now that you mention Ghostscript as one PDF distiller: there is a file
Fontmap.GS that needs in case the PS file does *not* contain all the
fonts entries to tell the gs interpreter which file contains the
PostScript font /X à la:

% Bigelow & Holmes' Lucida fonts from Java added by Pete:
/LucidaBright                           (hlhr8a.pfb)    ;
/LucidaBright-Demi                      (hlhd8a.pfb)    ;
/LucidaBright-DemiItalic                (hlhdi8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaBright-Italic                    (hlhri8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaSans                             (hlsr8a.pfb)    ;
/LucidaSans-Demi                        (hlsd8a.pfb)    ;
/LucidaSans-DemiOblique                 (hlsdo8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaSans-Oblique                     (hlsro8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaSans-Typewriter                  (hlsrt8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaSans-TypewriterBold              (hlsbt8a.pfb)   ;
/LucidaSans-TypewriterBoldOblique       (hlsbot8a.pfa)  ;
/LucidaSans-TypewriterOblique           (hlsrot8a.pfb)  ;

and these fonts have to be accessible from the interpreters search
path, so an UNIX symlink would be needed in the Ghostscript fonts
directory. But in you case the lb*.pfb font files are all included in
the PDF output.

> I found that Illustrator (10 and CS) on one of my computers complained
> about not having Lucida Math and Lucida Bright, but the other only
> complained about Lucida Bright. Searching the first machine for
> occurences of LucidaBright led me to an old system folder that had a
> Java Virtual Machine in it that contained LucidaBright as a ttf font.
> The System and Library for that machine (running Panther) didn't have
> it -- it was only in the old Java Installation. When I copied the
> Lucida Bright fonts to my home ~/Library/Fonts on my other machine
> (running Tiger), Illustrator no longer complained about LucidaBright
> and actually made it editable (that is, I can add or delete text).

It's some kind of workaround, and it can fool you, since the Y&Y
PostScript fonts can be slightly different than the Java TrueType ones!

> Here are the error messages I get from Illustrator:
> Adobe Illustrator CS error message:
> The font LucidaNewMath-AltItalic is missing
> Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font.
> The font LucidaNewMath-Symbol is missing.  Affected text will be
> displayed using a substitute font.
> Below this is the warning message:
> The document "Test2.ps" uses fonts or characters which are not
> available or
> are in a different format than originally specified.

These messages could mean that AI looks for screen fonts as in the
Classic days ... and I think I've seen these Classic screen fonts a few
times on the net! Here for example here
http://www.tug.org/tex-archive/systems/mac/textures/fonts/ and there
http://www.bluesky.com/help/technews.html. Or on a CTAN /TeX Live CD or
DVD.

One remark on pdftex's log: only one ENCoding file is put into the
output:
/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/enc/dvips/psnfssx/
texnansi.enc, the one for text use. Could be that AI has some AI built
in not accepting that a PS font is used as-is, without specific
encoding, i.e. the found "(Custom encoding)." Lars Hellström from the
fontinst team once mentioned that this can be a hazard and since my
work on using TrueType fonts in TeX as converted PS fonts leads into
the same corner of 'unencoded' PostScript fonts, we might have located
the culprit. (And I too see some issues with that sometimes.)

On math characters to input: have you discovered the Character Palette?
It's in a menu symbolized with your country's or keyboard layout's
national flag. If you don't have this menu yet, go (in Panther) into
System Preferences -> "national/local" preferences (the UN flag) ->
keyboard menu and check what you feel is needful -- and check
particularly keyboard menu down in the margin! Choosing in Character
Palette Unicode blocks you can manoeuvre to the math or Greek block and
check out the glyphs you want to enter.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Windows, c'est un peu comme le beaujolais nouveau: a chaque nouvelle
cuvée on sait que ce sera dégueulasse, mais on en prend quand même, par
masochisme.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>