[OS X TeX] Re: OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Tue May 10 06:03:22 CEST 2005

Results of further investigation of Lucida Fonts, PDFLatex, and
Illustrator 10/CS
Sneep, Peteter Dyballa, Bruno Voisin and Alan Curtis. Thanks to all.

I've been able to follow up on many of the suggestions and here is
the latest status report.

In terms of whether I've done the YandY font installation right, I
got my son to do the setup and he is very diligent on these things,
following instructions posted on this list. In particular,  I've
created pdf files with the Lucida and CMR fonts that I have
distributed to lots of people and they display properly. I just
checked with my wife's PC and Acrobat recognizes them as Lucida and
as being installed in the document. Thus, I believe that I do have a
proper installation of the Y and Y Lucida fonts, gwTeTex and Texshop.

I've got X11 installed, but it doesn't contain pdffonts or pdfinfo.
However, in Acrobat Professional 6, the Document Properties of the
Latex document with Lucida shows that my document has Embedded
Subsets Type 1 fonts of LucidaBright (Ansi encoding), LucidaNewMath-
Altitalic,  (Custom encoding) and LucidaNewMath-Symbol (Ansi
encoding). The document PDF Producer is listed as Apple pstopdf of
AFPL Ghostscript 8.51, pf pdfTeX-1.20a depending on the different
options I've used to create the document in TexShop

Acrobat Professional lets me edit the LucidaBright text, but not the
Lucida math stuff (complaining that it has no system font installed).
It also lets me edit any of the CMR stuff (text or math), but I don't
know what keys to press to get math characters. That is, I have gamma
epsilon and can insert a character (in Acrobat) between them, but it
comes out as regular text.

I found that Illustrator (10 and CS) on one of my computers
complained about not having Lucida Math and Lucida Bright, but the
other only complained about Lucida Bright. Searching the first
machine for occurences of LucidaBright led me to an old system folder
that had a Java Virtual Machine in it that contained LucidaBright as
a ttf font. The System and Library for that machine (running Panther)
didn't have it -- it was only in the old Java Installation. When I
copied the Lucida Bright fonts to my home ~/Library/Fonts on my other
machine (running Tiger), Illustrator no longer complained about
LucidaBright and actually made it editable (that is, I can add or
delete text). However, I still cannot get the math to work.

Here are the error messages I get from Illustrator:
Adobe Illustrator CS error message:
The font LucidaNewMath-AltItalic is missing
Affected text will be displayed using a substitute font.
The font LucidaNewMath-Symbol is missing.  Affected text will be
displayed using a substitute font.
Below this is the warning message:
The document "Test2.ps" uses fonts or characters which are not
available or
are in a different format than originally specified.

Illustrator 10 Error Message:
Missing Type 1 fonts have been substituted with the default font.
Fonts with foreign encodings have been reencoded.

BTW, I have also installed the yandy font folder (with folders for
lubright, lucida, lumath, etc in it) in my
/Library/Application\ Support/Adobe/Fonts folder

I don't have the Blue Sky fonts, and, in particular, I don't have the
ones that Bruno Voisin mentioned. I might ask Blue Sky whether they
think this might work with TeTeX in OS X. I'm a little reluctant to
contact them since TeTeX is essentially a competitor to Textures....

I'll close off with the code that I'm typesetting and the log file:

\documentclass[11pt]{article}
\usepackage{amssymb,amsmath}
% Use Lucida fonts. Comment out the item below to use CMR
\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,altbullet]{lucidabr}

\begin{document}
Test2 \emph{some italics}
\textbf{some bold face}
$\gamma \epsilon \Sigma  = \frac{c}{d}$
\end{document}

This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.20a-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.3)
\write18 enabled.
output format initialized to PDF
entering extended mode
(./Scratch5.tex
LaTeX2e <2003/12/01>
Babel <v3.8d> and hyphenation patterns for american, french, german,
ngerman, d
utch, italian, norsk, portuges, spanish, swedish, nohyphenation, loaded.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/article.cls
Document Class: article 2004/02/16 v1.4f Standard LaTeX document class
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/size11.clo))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsfonts/amssymb.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsfonts/amsfonts.sty))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsmath.sty
For additional information on amsmath, use the `?' option.
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amstext.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsgen.sty))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsbsy.sty)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsmath/amsopn.sty))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/base/fontenc.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfssx/ly1enc.def)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/psnfssx/ly1ptm.fd))
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lucidabr.sty
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucida/ly1hlh.fd))
(./Scratch5.aux)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/lmrhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/omlhlcm.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/omshlcy.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/lucidabr/omxhlcv.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsfonts/umsa.fd)
(/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/tex/latex/amsfonts/umsb.fd) [1{/
usr/local/t
eTeX/share/texmf.local/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map}] (./
Scratch5.aux) )<
/Users/gsick/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath/lbms.pfb></Users/
gsick/Libr
ary/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath/lbmr.pfb></Users/gsick/Library/
texmf/fonts/t
ype1/yandy/lumath/lbmo.pfb>{/usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/
enc/dvips/
psnfssx/texnansi.enc}</Users/gsick/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/
lubright/lbd
.pfb></Users/gsick/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lubright/lbi.pfb></
Users/gsi
ck/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lubright/lbr.pfb>
Output written on Scratch5.pdf (1 page, 24004 bytes).
Transcript written on Scratch5.log.

Thanks for all your help.
--cheers, Gordon Sick
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>