[OS X TeX] OT: Choice between Panther and Tiger

Johan Almqvist johan at almqvist.net
Mon May 9 20:24:18 CEST 2005

On May 9, 2005, at 18:41, mark oilcan wrote:
> I don't have Tiger either, so it would be informative if someone who
> does can verify this, but this mail format, quite unfortunately,
> actually does NOT sound like maildir format. A maildir mailbox
> contains
> three subdirectories: cur, new, tmp with individual messages stored in
> cur. Also the names of the files which contain these messages must
> follow a specific form. This insures interoperability with different
> mail clients. It sure would have been nice if Apple had used a
> standard
> like maildir instead of inventing one of their own.

It's not Maildir. Anyway Maildir is only necessary to make sure that
multiple simultaneous deliveries don't clobber the inbox; that's
never going to happen in the Apple Mail scenario anyway.

There's another one-file-per-message format that used to be popular
but I can't recall the name nor the specifics.

-Johan
--
Johan Almqvist
johan at almqvist.net