[OS X TeX] TeX and Illustrator Fonts -- CMR Works and Lucida doesn't

Gordon Sick sick at ucalgary.ca
Thu May 5 03:42:42 CEST 2005

Further to my earlier post, I've been pursuing the issue of being
able to edit pdfs created by PDFLatex on Mac OS X with Illustrator
CS1. I had earlier thought that this wouldn't work at all, because
Illustrator won't recognize the fonts, but I now find that I
Illustrator WILL correctly handle the default CMR fonts with no
problem but NOT the Lucida Y&Y fonts.

I've checked my system, and I don't have the Tex-Illustrator version
of CMR on the system. When I open the CMR text (created with TeXShop
2 defaults) in Illustrator CS, I can see the CMR fonts and even
select the text line and add text. I know it is the Tex version of
CMR, because when I type a space, it gives me a ? mark rather than a
space.

Now, when I Latex the simple document with the Y&Y Lucida fonts with
the following preamble:

\usepackage[LY1]{fontenc}
\usepackage[expert,altbullet]{lucidabr}

I find I can't open the Lucida fonts in Illustrator CS. It
substitutes another font instead.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I should look to figure
out how to get the Y&Y Lucida fonts being treated the same as the CMR
fonts in Illustrator?

Thanks, in advance, for any help.
--Gordon Sick
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>