[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Thu May 5 00:54:34 CEST 2005

> Sorry for this OT post, but I've been faced for the first time this
> morning with an effective Macintosh Trojan (I thought that impossible)
> and thought it useful to report here, in case others are faced with > it.

Hi Bruno,

Whether this trojan really is one or not, keep in mind that trojans are
*always* possible on *any* operating system.  This is because they
don't rely for their effect on technical features of the computer but
rather on tricking an admin user into running malicious code (which
said admin user always has the power to do).

Some operating system features make this kind of trickery easier or
more difficult, but it's always possible in principle.

The moral is: always be vigilant, especially with email attachments.

Cheers,
Tony M.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>