[OS X TeX] OT: effective Macintosh Trojan in the wild

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Wed May 4 12:01:51 CEST 2005

Le 4 mai 05 à 11:25, Martin Costabel a écrit :

> The "Trojan" is actually the antivirus program itself. Norton AV
> believes to find a virus signature in a swap file and "sanitizes"
> the swap file, thereby crashing the system.

Hi Peter, Martin,

Thanks for the help! For sure one can recognize a Unix expert when
one sees one!

Following my failed attempts this morning we (1) told Norton AV to
only report infected files, not attempt to sanitize them, and (2) do
not perform background scans, only scans on demand. This seems to
have halted the problem, and agrees perfectly with your explanations.

Earlier, looking for swap files, we had found on my colleague's HD
one /private/var/vm/swapfile0 (and indeed I have one too, 64 MB in
size, on my Tiger PowerBook), but no swapfile1 which was the file
reported by Norton AV as infected. Odd!

Why the problem only started on May 2 remains unexplained. Given the
latest virus definition file on my colleague's setup dates back to
May 1, I tend to think that the problem is in this file, which would
define erroneously (or may be not ;-) Norton AV as viral.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>