[OS X TeX] Alpha taking over some file extensions

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Tue May 3 12:55:06 CEST 2005

The Alpha forums would probably be a more appropriate medium for
reporting this, but since I'm no member of these forums I'm posting
this here in case Alpha people are listening.

After every fresh install Alpha has a tendency to "take over" some
file extensions, such as .txt and .tex IIRC, at least for files that
have no Type or Creator set. Until Tiger this wasn't too much of a
problem (you could use View Info for any file with a given extension,
and specify there the default application for all files with this
extension). I remember Alpha developers telling here this wasn't a
planned behaviour, and they had no idea what's causing it.

However with Tiger this is becoming a problem: it seems all files,
including application bundles (thus actually directories), with names
ending with a dot and a number, like the Fetch application "Fetch
4.0.3", are considered as Alpha files. As a consequence, Fetch can't
be opened, and the only solutions are either to remove " 4.0.3" from
the name, or add a .app extension.

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>