[OS X TeX] Spotlight importers

Ralph Martin Ralph.Martin at cs.cardiff.ac.uk
Tue May 3 07:29:01 CEST 2005

On 3 May 2005, at 3:04 am, Adam R. Maxwell wrote:
> I wrote a couple of Spotlight importers that people may find
> useful.  BibImporter (for BibTeX files), and DVIImporter (reads
> text of DVI files).  In my testing, they work fine, but let me know
> of any problems (crashes or memory leaks).

> You can force Spotlight to index your teTeX tree with `mdimport -f /
> usr/local/teTeX` in Terminal, and the DVI importer should give you
> access to the contents of the DVI documentation files from
> Spotlight, while Apple's importers will index the others.

Great work! A couple of issues:

(1) I get various errors while processing /usr/local/tetex - see
below. These may be problems with files rather than the importer - I
am unsure.

(2) Am I right in presuming that if I want to use these to process
all bibtex and dvi files in dirs within my home dir, I need `mdimport
-f ~myusername`? Or will this be done automatically?

Errors include various ones like:

2005-05-03 06:23:12.298 mdimport[470] -[FileProcessor
importMetadataFromFileAtPath:] Got exception *** -[NSCFArray
addObject:]: attempt to insert nil for path '/usr/local/teTeX/share/
texmf.tetex/doc/latex/amscls/jr.bib'

and

Expected integer; found `n' instead.
Missing or invalid generation number.
missing or invalid cross-reference stream.
Invalid stream length 547; should be 546.

and

PSSniffer error: No such file or directory

Best wishes

Ralph
--
Prof Ralph Martin                   Phone: +44(0)29 2087 5536
School of Computer Science          Fax:   +44(0)29 2087 4598
Cardiff University                  Email: mailto:ralph at cs.cf.ac.uk
5 The Parade, Roath                 WWW:   http://ralph.cs.cf.ac.uk/
Cardiff, CF24 3AA, United Kingdom   VOIP:  sip:rrmwork at iptel.org

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>