[OS X TeX] Questions about cocoAspell installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 2 17:17:27 CEST 2005

Le 2 mai 05 à 16:54, Herb Schulz a écrit :

> Since this appears to be a show stopper for you I guess I'll just
> start
> answering this one. It appears, at least in 10.3.9, that once
> chosen in one
> application (via choosing the dictionary) CocoAspell 2.0 still is
> chosen
> everywhere. If I change the dictionary in BBEdit and go back to
> TeXShop the
> new dictionary is chosen there (i.e., no longer aspell) too. Sigh...
>
> This looks like an OS thing, not an CocoAspell thing.

Hi Herb,

Actually what you're saying is good news. I feared that once
cocoAspell was installed only cocoAspell dictionaries became
available in OS X, and that cocoAspell had to be uninstalled first
for the OS X dictionaries to be seen again.

If I understand correctly what you're saying -- and this is indeed
what I'm verifying in the Spelling panel, I should have looked first
--, all dictionaries (from both OS X and cocoAspell) are available
simultaneously, and the only thing is that once a dictionary is
selected (be it from OS X or cocoAspell) it remains the default for
all applications until a new one is checked in any application. This
is not a problem: for example, in Mail I am all the time writing
messages in either French or English, and changing dictionary in the
Spelling panel accordingly (except when I'm lazy or in a rush and
just ignore the red underlinings everywhere).

And regarding my other criticism, about the 9 English dictionaries
with exactly the same name, I realized afterwards that, in the
Spelling system pref panel, the Name field for each dictionary
contains a few more letters (like [ize-wo_accents]) with meaning
explained inside

     /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0/doc/
extra.txt
     /Library/Application Support/cocoAspell/aspell6-en-6.0-0/README

The only problem then is that the Name field isn't long enough for
these supplementary letters to be seen but the first ones. Again,
this limitation can be circumvented by pressing the button "About
this dictionary…": this open a panel with title the full name of the
dictionary.

However for the French dictionaries that doesn't help, as there
simply seems to be no explanation at all to be displayed, anywhere.

But in any case that looks promising.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>