[OS X TeX] Questions about cocoAspell installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon May 2 15:56:56 CEST 2005

With the switch to Tiger I would like to install and get cocoAspell
to work once and for good (especially since v2b has just been released).

However once again the following questions arise:

- Is it possible to use cocoAspell for TeX only, with Apple's built-
in spell checker being used for anything else (Mail, iWork, etc.).
(For me this is a show-stopper, if cocoAspell can't be used for TeX
only I won't go further.)

- When in TeX, how to make sure cocoAspell is indeed used? By
checking the TeX/LaTeX filter in the Spelling system pref? I remember
vaguely something in the past about the fact that checking this item
wasn't persistent, or something like this. Is this problem still there?

- How is it possible to get info about the characteristics of the
dictionaries. On top of the default English dictionaries, I only
installed the French ones. However, in the list of available
dictionaries there are for examples *9* items all called exactly
"English (United Kingdom)". How is it possible to know the
differences between each item. Similarly, in the list of available
French dictionaries there are 12 items:

French [40]
French [60]
French [80]
French
French (Switzerland) [40]
French (Switzerland) [60]
French (Switzerland) [80]
French (Switzerland)
French (France) [40]
French (France) [60]
French (France) [80]
French (France)

How can we know what the differences are? The various files in the
doc directory of the dictionary are absolutely unhelpful. It seems 40
is equivalent to small, 60 to medium and 80 to large, but what does
this mean?

Bruno Voisin
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>